15 Things We Can't Wait to See in 'The Expanse' Season 3
With season 3 of The Expanse premiering in just a few days, we (TBT writer Michaela and fellow space nerd Sarah) decided to reread the books it’s based on and come up with a list of characters and events we can’t wait to (hopefully) see! Because The Expanse is a TV series developed from a book series, those of us who have read the books know a little more of what’s coming this season than those who just watch the show, though often things are changed to either make it easier to show on television or to make storylines more concise. Still, there are some pretty big things from the books that we’re sure they’ll keep, and as such, this article will contain some book spoilers, though we’ll keep them vague.
Most of the contents of this list will be from book 3, Abaddon’s Gate, since the main characters of book 2, Caliban’s War, have already been introduced in the show for the most part. With that disclaimer out of the way, here’s our list of the top 15 characters and other things we can’t wait to (hopefully) see in season 3 of The Expanse!
15. Chrisjen’s hedgehog line— book fans will know what we’re talking about!
14. Captain Ashford— the captain of the Behemoth, a Belter appointed by Fred Johnson who is a bit of a braggart. He butts heads with Bull on several instances, and in his eagerness to prove himself a good captain, makes some bad calls. It’s unknown whether the events on the Behemoth will be condensed or expanded, so we don’t know how much we’ll see of him, but his role has been cast, and will be filled by David Strathairn.
13. The custody battle over the Rocinante— Just as in the books, the show has not yet brought up one of the seemingly small yet ultimately very inconvenient legal issues: Mars claims they still own the MCRN Tachi. Alex continues to insist that the Roci is “legitimate salvage.” It brings about some…complications.
12. Namono (Nono)— Nono is Anna’s wife, a Ugandan minister whom Anna met when she was speaking at a faith conference in Uganda. She and their daughter, Nani, move back to Earth so that Nani won’t grow up in low gravity and lose the ability to visit her grandparents on Earth, while Anna travels on the Behemoth to investigate a new phenomenon.
11. SOMETHING that will help give a sense of the time it takes to traverse space. Because this is a fast-paced show, we can’t sit around while it takes approximately a year for the Earth fleet to get to Uranus’ orbit, but it’s hard to comprehend the vastness of space when they seem to just zip around.
10. Michio Pa— executive officer on the Behemoth, a Belter woman. She is a formidable force, working beside Ashford and Bull when things on the Behemoth start to get complicated. Pa is confirmed as both bisexual and polyamorous in a later book, and it would be great to get an early mention of that in her show introduction. Right now it would just be nice to see a casting decision!
9. Monica Stuart— a journalist whose team joins the crew of the Rocinante as they investigate a crazy new phenomenon in Uranus’ orbit. Monica will be played by Anna Hopkins, who has played recurring roles on shows including Arrow, Defiance, and Shadowhunters, and while her role in book 3 isn’t huge, she does recur throughout the series, and is a very interesting character— she and her crew remind me of Cressida and her crew from The Hunger Games. Monica will be a good way to get into the backstories of the Rocinante crew, because she’s constantly interviewing them for her documentary.
8. The Behemoth as a whole— We have already technically had a glimpse of what becomes one of the Belt’s biggest (both literally and figuratively) assets, but it will be great to see more of the ship, especially given the incredible VFX this show has already shown us. The Behemoth is one of the main settings throughout Abaddon's Gate, so we can expect to see a lot of it!
7. Seeing Chrisjen and Bobbie finally interact with the Roci crew once they’ve taken refuge on it is gonna be so fun— Bobbie and Alex finally having another Martian around, Chrisjen sassing Holden, maybe even Chrisjen and Naomi bonding over their lost sons, since they introduced that part of Naomi’s past earlier than they did in the books.
6. Carlos/Bull— chief security officer on the Behemoth, who has a history with Fred Johnson. Bull is an Earther surrounded primarily by Belters which comes with about all of the complex feelings and politics that you’d expect. There has been no word on casting yet, but considering he is a very central character in Abbadon’s Gate, it would be extremely surprising if his role was minimized or left out.
5. Melba— a young woman with a lot of secrets. She’s a lowly electrochemical technician, but has an agenda she’s dead-set on achieving. There’s a pretty intense scene in the books involving her and a storage locker that we really hope they include in the show! Melba will be portrayed by Nadine Nicole, who has appeared on shows such as The Young and the Restless and Casual.
4. Sam— chief engineer on the Behemoth, formerly the mechanic who worked on the Rocinante when it would return to Tycho Station. Sam has appeared in one episode of the show; episode 1x08, “Salvage,” but since it was such a small appearance and most of her material through the second book seems to have been given to Drummer, we can’t help but wonder whether she’ll even show up in season 3. She does have a much more important role in book 3, and there are a few reasons why it won’t work to keep giving her material to Drummer, but only time will tell how they’ll tackle it.
3. The Slow Zone Incident— it’s a very big event in the book, one we definitely don’t want to spoil, but it’s going to be devastating.
2. The Investigator— we can’t say too much about this character because we don’t want to spoil the reveal, but suffice it to say, the Investigator is… pretty unsettling. This character first appears at the very end of the book Caliban’s War, but the episode named after them is past the halfway point of the season, so it will be interesting to see if they postpone introducing them or if 3x08 will just have a lot to do with the Investigator.
1. Anna— one of our absolute all-time favorite characters, Anna is one of the very few Christian characters in anything we’ve seen that actually follows Christ’s teachings and is portrayed as both a complex, yet undeniably good person. She’s a Methodist pastor who has a church on one of Jupiter’s moons, Europa, and will be played by Elizabeth Mitchell of Lost fame, who seems absolutely perfect for the role (even if it is a bit weird that they’re leaving her hair blonde, rather than the red it is in the books). From the episode descriptions, we’ll be meeting Anna earlier than we do in the books, which this show frequently does, so hopefully we’ll get to see some of her family life, with her wife, Nono, and daughter, Nani, before she goes off on an adventure to investigate a new phenomenon and determine what it means for her faith and understanding of God.
Season 3 of The Expanse promises to deliver everything you could want from a sci-fi show, from breathtaking VFX to terrifying monsters to found-family relationships— be sure to join us here at TBT every week as we break down the twists and turns!
The Expanse returns Wednesday April 11th at 9pm on SyFy in the US